Sunday, August 19, 2007

The great outdoors

Our family has been trying to get outside and we've succeeded a few times lately. We have been hiking at Tiger Mountain twice in the past week and Jeb has been taking Liam there most days while I am working. I like hiking. I like being outdoors. Sometimes I just feel so bottled up in my little apartment that I can hardly contain my desire to be outside. Times like this make me a whole lot happier. I like God's creation. I appreciate it. It's beautiful. It's calming. It's invigorating. There's nothing quite like it. Along the way we saw this happy log. Jeb carts Liam around and always gives him a stick to play with. Liam sits there in the back with his stick reaching with all his might to hit trees and bushes with it and every now and then accidentally takes a swing at Dad too.




At the end of this particular hiking place we run across some blackberries. I know, scrumptious after a hike. They're so sweet and ripe right now too. The other day we went to some friends house to pick blackberries and had enough left over to make a pie AND a cobbler AND some to go in my freezer. During the picking I got into some stinging nettle. I haven't been stung by that stuff since 3rd grade at Camp Yamhill. My skin welted and everything! But after all that I still had a delicous homemade-still-warm-from-the-oven pie to soothe the pain. I think it was all worth it.

3 comments:

Marta said...

What fun!!! We've been trying to get outside more... just kinda hard when it's 100 dergrees outside! Great pictures!

Unknown said...

Your discription of the summer blackberries reminds me of my childhood days in the hills outside of Oregon City. Ty and I used to run around barefoot all summer, and by the time the blackberries were ripe we could stomp around without shoes in the berry thickets picking literally buckets full of them. And probably eating as many as we picked. Mom must have made dozens of pies, which made her very popular around our house. Good times.

Jenny Wilkinson said...

Is Jeb doing the Nacho Libre stance? I miss going outside and seeing trees taller than me and water that doesn't look like mud. Oh, my sweet northwest, I will see you soon!

Followers