Sunday, June 04, 2006

I heart Mariners

I've never been a serious fan of any sport. I guess I have always enjoyed highschool and college games because I went to school with those people, so it was fun to cheer them on. But to cheer for people that you don't even know??? I just have never had it in me. I have never understood how people could be so loyal to one particular team or sport...I can't relate at all.

One time Jeb and I went to a Seahawks game when we first moved up here to Bellevue and we didn't want to pay $20 to park our car for 2 hours...so instead we drove around until we found a parking spot about 10 blocks from Qwest field. We started walking towards the stadium and little did we know (because we were new to the area) that we had parked in the ghetto...people were dealing drugs and following us and all sorts of crazy things. We had parked on Yessler...and for those of you who have ever taken the Seattle underground tour...you'll find out that Mr. Yessler -the streets namesake- was a very bad and evil man...which is totally beside the point...but a historical fact nonetheless...and ironic that it turned out to be a slummy part of town. Anyways...we nearly died walking to seahawk stadium and then people were sitting in our seats and wouldn't move when we got there and everyone was drunk and spilling beer all over the place and cussing at the top of their lungs. i didn't get it. oh yeah...and they all booed the entire halftime show when the oregon ducks performed and they kept shouting, "go back to Oregon!" Needless to say, we had just moved here from oregon and were feeling a little sentimental, so we were excited the oregon ducks were there! so we leave early because it is cold, people are still screaming and one guy is listening to the game on headphones and dancing the entire time...these are true fans.

i felt sad in a way, because i wanted to be a fan too. i wanted to get into the game and love it...but i couldn't. then later that same year, we went to a mariners game. it was summer time and warm and we sat on the 1st base line and the sun pours down on you and the seattle city skyline is right out in front of you and everyone's happy and laid back and it smells like popcorn and peanuts and garlic fries and cotton candy...and moosy the mascot sometimes rides a 4 wheeler around the baseball field, and the dirt combers do dances, and they do hat tricks on the big screen!!! It's like it is a super carnival while watching a baseball game. it was then that i realized that I LOVE BASEBALL....and I don't have any other team to love besides the mariners...they are my home team. sure, they may not be the best (although they did win every game i went to the first season i was here)...but I LOVE THEM. they are like a good friend to me...they make me happy when i see them even if things aren't so hot for them.

and besides, richie sexson (1st baseman, cleanup batter) is apparently from hockinson, so jeb feels like he and richie are like best friends now since they grew up in the same neck of the woods. And every time i see ichiro, i giggle, because my grandma lue thinks he is cute.

things can't get any better than this!

13 comments:

Lisa said...

I HEART THE MARINERS!!!! No, I LOVE the Mariners!! Ichiro is my guy (in baseball, not life). I hold dear to my heart the team of 2001, their best season ever, the season I learned to love the Mariners and baseball. Mike Cameron was with the M's that year, and now he is a San Diego Padre, and so i feel like we are best friends, I am so excited!!! I also love the Padres because they are my hometown team now. but when the M's play the Pad's its a very heart wrenching experience for me. Anyways, i love baseball. I love the laid back atmosphere of going to the stadium and watching the game. Its definatly more laid back than a football game.

tara said...

we went to a few mariners games with friends and we always had such a great time too! my friends little boy loves brett boone (sp?), but he thought it was brett boom so we all had to cheer very loudly for BOOM! ive heard that other people do that too, but he was only 4 yrs old so it was way cuter.

dodyb said...

Pris, you are soooo right! Ken and I had Seahawk season tickets for a couple of years. What an experience! Totally different than across the street. Baseball so is family oreinted (sp) which is really nice.
But Ken is a die-hard seahawk fan so we did that until we couldn't afford it anymore.
We call the Mariners the 'boys' and feel like they are part of the fam.

Priscilla said...

I'm so happy you all share the same enthusiasm for the sport and the team! I do love the mariners...maybe not as much as rolo loves soccer...but it's the closest thing I'm going to get to being a true and loyal fan of any given team or sport!!!

Mike Lewis said...

Go Red Sox!!!

dodyb said...

BOO BOOO BOOOOOOO red sox!! :)))

tabitha jane said...

you;re the best! i wish i had time to be a baseball fan . . . someday soon i will!

Priscilla said...

jeb wants to know who the red sox are anyways...

Mike Lewis said...

Only the 2004 World Champions and soon to be 2006 World Champions

Priscilla said...

I think it's funny that they play in the "world series"...but the only countries involved are the US and Canada...they should be called the "North American except Mexico series"

Mike Lewis said...

We just had the real World Series called the World Baseball Classic. Japan won the tournament.

Mike Lewis said...

Of course if you look at the racial and ethnic diversity in Major League Baseball, they represent their countries.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

Followers