Tuesday, May 23, 2006

MONDAY DATE DAY AT CHILES

Mondays are days off for youth ministers...sweet huh! But the devil doesnt take a day off! Somebody once said, "if someone tells you that you shouldnt take a day off because the devil doesn't take a day off just tell em, " Well I guess I know who your role model is now!"

Well as God as my role model I have a day of rest and relaxation. This particular Monday, Pris and I went to Chiles. I expected to eat my fill with no interuptions especially not from Priscilla.

That didnt last long because Priscilla literally pulled out a list of things to talk about. "Oh great!" I thought. "We have to communicate!" As I looked over the list I noticed what the two girls and 1 guy behind me were talking about. I almost asked Priscilla if we could just talk with them because their story's of their love life were way more interesting than Subjects 1-5 on Priscilla's "communication" list.

After entertaining the first 3 conversation pieces I looked up and saw an older couple with two young kids like 5 and 8. I thought, "how sweet, lunch with grandma and grandpa." That thought lasted fora good 5 seconds after they sat down. When the waiter came he asked them what they wanted. After going through gandma, grandpa and the 5 year old he asked the 8 year old what he would like. Grandma said, "no he doesnt get anything he's being punished."

As we continued to eat our meal I thought, "for sure someone will share their meal with that young boy." But that didnt happen. Things got worse. The eight year olds brother told on him that he had bitten him at school. Grandma at this point loses it and say's, "Is that true did you bite your brother at school!" The little boy nodded his head yes and grandma said, "you go sit over there I don't even want you to sit with us!" So the boy cried and sat at the booth next to them. Then his brother tells his grandma, "he bit me 2 times!" "What!!!!! Come here!" Grandma grabs him by the shoulder "Did you bite your brother 2 times?" He shook his head yes with tears flowing down his heys. Then Grandma said, " You are going to be in so much trouble when you get home. Your mother is going to be soooo mad at you ! Now go sit down over there, I am so disgusted with you!"

At this point Priscilla and I ask for our check. It was time to leave due to a loss of appetite. We never really finished talking about Priscilla's list.

I wanted to write this blog to do the kid some justice.

To the Grandma at Chili's.......grow up.....!!!!!!!! No wonder the kid is violent. it's obviously generational! Your not going to keep him out of jail (as you mentioned to him during you lecture on why you were disciplining him) by yelling at him and humiliating him in front of everybody in the resteraunt. Your more likely to create a pyscho that way.

Priscilla and I talked about what we saw and we chose not to intervine in this situation because we didn't know the circumstances. The kid for sure does need discipline if he is biting and hitting but come on, at Chiles?

5 comments:

tabitha jane said...

parents and grandparents like that make my tummy hurt!

i work at a place that works with kids who are messed up (moslty because of their parents . . .).

it is really sad.

Lisa said...

Its really hard to believe how people act in public. What is scary though is if they act like that in public, what must it be like at home?

btw... chili's is our fav!!!

Priscilla said...

Hey Thanks for the sympathetic ears! I guess I shouldn't be surprised by these things...duh, theres hurting people in the world. I suppose that's why Jesus said, "I came to heal the sick." I just dont know what to do when the sick people are next to me at chiles:)

Unknown said...

I wish that I was a good enough person to not hope that people who do things like that would get back exactly what they give, and maybe some extra.

As it is I have to pray for them, for what they do to their kids, and myself, for how I feel about them.

Jebodiah Bristow-Hanna said...

ooooh good point ty. I forgot that God still loves these people even when I REALLY dislike them.

Followers